Lumen SR LEAD USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER in Albany, New York
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Join Lumen's UX Team as we re-imagine and reinvent how large Telecoms can better interact with and support their customers in a way that is more modern, digital-first, intuitive, and friendly. Design user experiences used by millions of people everyday, take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs. Collaborate with teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them. Bring your experience in Design Thinking and your pragmatic user-centered and data-informed design approach to create innovative, usable, great-looking products that people love to use.
The Main Responsibilities
• Use your UX expertise to design (and redesign) a diverse set of experiences and products from websites and mobile apps to chatbots and support tools.
• Use Design Thinking, storytelling, UX, and prototypes to compellingly convey the vision, flow, and features of the product you are designing.
• Create concepts, site maps, flows, navigation strategies and prototypes
• Lead the development of mental models, user flows, and customer-journey maps based on data
• Collaborate with fellow UX designers, researchers, and team members to generate ideas and get feedback on your designs.
• Mapping customer journeys, visualizing concepts through story boards, prioritizing scalable information architecture, laying out detailed workflows around tech constraints, building intuitive interactions, and prototyping
• Crafting pixel-perfect mockups by using your creativity, delivering detailed design specs and assets to engineering teams, verifying implementation quality, and tracking success metrics
• Advocating for user-focused design, representing the voice of CenturyLink customers throughout the design process.
• Successfully work with developers, project managers, and other internal teams to get your designs into production.
• Work on several projects simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines.
What you'll bring to the team:
• Direct experience across a range of design approaches and methodologies, from persona development to prototyping and the many steps in between
• A proven track record of delivering excellent experiences that meet user needs, product requirements, and strategic business objectives
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly articulate a problem space, sometimes in various ways to meet the needs of different
• Exceptional attention to detail and ability to balance multiple work streams
• Strong working knowledge of Adobe XD and other design tools
• Understanding of common software project management practices and Agile development
• A passion for collaboration, iteration and receiving feedback.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile (e.g., Android and iOS).
What We Look For in a Candidate
8+ years interaction/graphic design experience across a variety of digital media.
Bachelor’s degree in UX, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, HCI, Design or a related field
Portfolio highlighting multiple projects that demonstrates experiences crafting usable digital interfaces.
Experience in user & stakeholder interviewing, concept ideation, design strategy, and digital prototyping.
Strong understanding of graphic design and interactive tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, Framer, etc. (And have the drive to always learn and experiment with new tools.)
Experience leading design activities within both agile and waterfall environments
Entrepreneurial Spirit + Collaborative Drive: You’re excited to help us build the culture of our new team, a self-starter who is comfortable being proactive and you're eager to work with your teammates to make your designs and our team better.
Creative Thinker + Problem-Solving Mindset: You’re great at wrangling complex problems and finding clarity and simplicity. You think strategically about any design challenge and seek to create holistic, compelling products that serve the end user.
Empathetic + Fun: You’re well-versed in user-centered methodologies and design thinking. You design for consumer needs first and foremost. Oh, and you’re great fun to work with.
Communication Skills: You have excellent communication, storytelling, presentation, project management, and organizational skills. You’re able to tell compelling stories about your work to partners and team members. Excellent ability to explain complex design decisions to experts and non-experts
Motivated, Self-Starter: who is passionate about Design and its various dimensions. You enjoy living by your craft and developing user-centered solutions for complex problems.
Knowledge or expertise in one or more of the following is a plus: visual design, machine learning, mobile applications, web applications, messaging interfaces, illustration, motion graphics, video/film production.
What to Expect Next
Requisition #: 271918
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
- Lumen Jobs