Avangrid Service Company Electrical Engineer Substation Lead in Binghamton, New York
Responsible for electric delivery systems in either Maine (Central Maine Power) or New York (NYSEG and RG&E). The electric delivery system in Maine is approximately 2,600 miles of transmission lines & 315
substations. The electric delivery system in New York is approximately 5,600 miles of transmission lines & 621 Substations.
Leads engineering activities for electric transmission, substation and system protection projects. Plans, controls and manages project activities to effectively complete engineering and design for construction projects. Provides liaison with other departments, divisions, vendors or consultants and coordinates with government agencies, customers, other utilities or groups. Applies and interprets company, local, state, and national codes and standards and ensures Compliance with regulatory requirements. Conducts feasibility studies, completes estimates and develops engineering criteria.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, and ME PUC).
1. Review and approve work of engineering contractors who provide system protection engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements.
2. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders.
3. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system protection roles.
4. Recommends system improvements, develops economic project proposals for improvements and provides project management for major substations and transmission construction projects.
5. Performs engineering analyses of the electric substation and transmission system and recommends actions to develop design options or recommendations for Substation and protection relay system to minimize customer outages due to equipment failure or system malfunction. Engineer detailed designs. Perform engineering calculations.
6. Originates electric system and component reliability studies, outage contingency plans and capital budget proposals including a complete business case. Determines corrective action for operating
7. Review design and equipment specifications, and requirements for engineering suppliers and contractors. Demonstrate new technology value in terms of safety, cost and other efficiencies and implement it to enhance power system performance.
8. Develops and validates information needed for engineering analyses and applies engineering judgement to solve complex technical problems. Directs engineering contractors and consultants.
9. Demonstrates new technology and implements it to enhance power system performance. Provides power system commissioning support and supervision when required.
10. Serve as mentor in the technical development of lower level engineers and cross-department employees.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required :
- 5 - 8 years of experience in Engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification
- Advanced knowledge of power system protection.
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Experience with power system protection applications such as ASPEN Oneliner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Experience with control and protection schematics and single one line diagrams
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearest Major Market: Binghamton
Job Segment: Power Systems, Energy