Avangrid Service Company Lead Line Engineer - Transmission in Binghamton, New York
Responsible for high voltage, medium voltage, and low voltage transmission and distribution line designs for all operating companies in Avangrid Networks. Line designs includes structural or electrical calculations, routing, and preparation of engineering drawings. The electric delivery system in Maine contains approximately 2,600 miles of transmission lines & 317 substations. The electric delivery system in New York contains approximately 5,600 miles of transmission lines & 621 substations. The electric delivery system in Connecticut contains approximately 130 miles of transmission lines and 28 bulk electric supply substations.
Position reports to the Unit Manager - Lines, but the position will work day-to-day in cross functional project team and support project needs as dictated by the project manager.
Major Roles & Responsibilities
- Capital project engineering performance including all phases such as: scoping and budgeting, conceptual engineering, contract management and design, engineering design, construction and closeout.
- Responsible for leading and creating new conceptual designs and overseeing the work of external detailed designers.
- Responsible for detailed designs in support of System Reliability.
- Proactively identify and perform special projects and studies that innovatively solve unique and complex problems with broad impact to the business. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve unique problems or to improve processes/services.
- Solve unique and complex engineering problems. Identify innovative solutions.
- Oversee engineering studies to evaluate equipment and system performance and effectiveness and analyze operational issues in support of system reliability and operational efficiency.
- Develop and validate information needed for engineering analyses and applying engineering judgment to solve technical problems.
- Ensure all engineering designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards.
- Represent the company on regional and national committees when needed.
Education & Experience Required:
- Engineering/Professional qualification or equivalent experience.
- Experience in the delivery of projects, as necessary.
- Relevant network construction and operational experience.
- Computer literacy.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent education with 5 - 7 years relevant experience required.
- Professional Engineering License Preferred.
1. General Skills:
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills to decipher unique technical and analytical problems.
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to articulate highly technical concepts.
- Strong management and leadership skills, ability to drive change and adoption of new technologies.
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment including relevant output and incentive mechanisms.
- General contract, commercial and regulatory awareness with the ability to balance effective and efficient customer service and project delivery, ensuring maximum return on investment.
- Track record of effective stakeholder and customer service engagement and management.
- Ability to communicate and present information effectively at all levels.
- Ability to manage competing priorities using sound engineering and financial judgment to determine optimal solutions.
- Awareness and understanding of key business drivers.
- Ability to devise solutions to both to common and complex problems/challenges.
- Where appropriate, technical and operational experience in a relevant engineering role within a utility environment.
- Knowledge of Overhead Transmission Line:
- Construction and maintenance standards in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Engineering standards and specifications up to 345kV.
2. Routine Technical Skills:
- CAD Drafting
- Company Procedures, Processes and Standards
- Construction and Outage Sequencing
- Industry Codes, Standards, and Regulations
- PLS-CADD Modeling
- Project Scoping and Estimating
- Technical Writing and Communication
3. Unique Technical Skills:
- Foundation Design
- Overhead Transmission Line Layout
- Transmission Equipment Specifications
- Transmission Line Maintenance
- Transmission Material Selection
- Transmission Service Specifications
- Underground Transmission Line Design
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID's employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nearest Major Market: Binghamton
Job Segment: Transmission Line, High Voltage, Energy