The Jewish Board 1965A | Direct Support Professional in Brooklyn, New York
Make a bigger difference
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) supports individuals with
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in a residential setting.
The DSP is required to follow the treatment plan, ensuring the client's
health and safety, promoting independence and person centered planning.
**KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (List the functions that are essential to
achieve the goals):**
- Ensures that clients are treated with dignity and respect at all
- Supports and encourages clients' decision making on the appropriate
level to further promote independence.
- Responsible to oversee Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and all
personal hygiene of the clients.
- Assist the Residence Manager in the development and implementation
of community inclusion activities using client and family feedback
as a guide.
- Accompany clients on medical appointments as a liaison of the
interdisciplinary team, working closely with the RN Case Manager to
present and receive information to all medical professionals.
- Work with clients in a group setting or on a one to one basis
depending on the need of the particular client.
- Assist/Supervise clients with meal preparation including setting
dining room table, warming food, portioning for specific clients and
adhering to specifically prescribed modified diets.
- Responsible for doing client laundry, at times with clients, as well
as ironing clothing.
- Ensures that clients are dressed in clean and weather appropriate
- Assist clients with money management while safeguarding their funds.
- Responsible for ensuring a clean and neat residence including minor
sweeping and mopping of floors.
- Share and document experiences and observation of the client with
the treatment team during in person supervision and through the
- Complete all daily logs including but not limited to goals, behavior
data, diaper change, turning, seizure, stool, and toileting.
- Is certified as an Approved Medication Administration Personnel
(AMAP) to dispense all prescribed medications to clients.
- Drive agency vehicle transporting clients to medical and
- Follow agency procedures to report unusual medical, behavioral or
- Participate as a member of the interdisciplinary team during
regularly scheduled meetings and case conferences.
**EDUCATIONAL / TRAINING REQUIRED:**
High School Diploma or equivalent, AMAP certification, Driver's License
**EXPERIENCE REQUIRED / LANGUAGE PREFERENCE:**
Experience working with individuals with Intellectual Disabilities
**COMPUTER SKILLS REQUIRED:**
Basic computer skills required including agency software programs and
Electronic Health Record.
**VISUAL AND MANUAL DEXTERITY:**
The candidate must be able to review treatment plans and document
manually or via computer daily logs. The candidate must be able to have
the dexterity to pick up small items to work with clients on a variety
**WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL EFFORT:**
The position entails lifting clients using a mechanical device,
positioning of clients, pushing clients in wheelchairs, and transferring
clients physically where prescribed. The candidate must be able to bend
down to pick things off the ground and lift trays of food.
We respect diversity and accordingly are an equal opportunity employer
that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion,
national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, disability, sex,
gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status),
sexual orientation, marital status, partnership status, veteran status,
genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable
federal, state, or local law.
This applies with respect to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion,
transfer, training, compensation, termination, assignments, benefits,
employee activities, access to facilities and programs, and all other
terms and condition of employment as well as general treatment during
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known
physical or mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities,
without regard to any protected classifications, unless the
accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our
business. Any employees who need assistance to perform their job duties
because of a physical or mental condition should contact human
- Job Family Direct Care \[200s\]
- Job Function Paraprofessionals
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator 8854 - Health Care - Professional Svcs -
- Required Education High School