Inglesidemachine.com Finish Grinder in Farmington, New York
Ingleside Machine Company, Inc.
Job Title: Grinder
Summary: Sets up and operates grinding machines by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
1. Set ups and operates one or more grinding machines to grind external surfaces of metal work pieces to close tolerance blueprint specifications.*
2. Follows tooling instructions and applies knowledge of grinding procedures to acquire first piece inspections.*
3. Follows blueprints, job orders and written or verbal instructions for product specifications such as finishes, dimensions, tolerances, number of parts to be holding fixtures and grinding wheels to be used.*
4. Mounts grinding and regulating wheels on spindles using hoists and wrenches.*
5. Dresses wheels to specifications using dressing devices.*
6. Adjusts controls to set specified grinding speeds, feed rates and spacings between wheel faces.*
7. Fills out production paperwork and inspection procedures as required.*
8. Positions and secures work rest at specified height using wrenches.
9. Positions work piece manually and secures it between wheels and on work rest.
10. Verifies dimensions of ground work pieces for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, laser micrometers and preset gages.
11. Changes worn grinding wheels.
12. Grinds non metallic materials when required.
13. Observes overall operation and performs regular daily maintenance on equipment and work area.
14. Reports any problems or discrepancies to immediate supervisor.
15. Maintains tools, gages and equipment in a clean, orderly and safe manner.
16. Complies with company policies and procedures giving special attention to safety regulations.
17. Wears personal protective equipment in accordance with training guidelines.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts.
This position always requires two employees to be present in the work area for safety reasons.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
Always refer to the SDS form for proper PPE instructions
General PPE Requirement
PPE Type Requirement When Reason
Eye Protection Required All time on production floor Reduce risk of eye injury
(No open toe shoes) Required All time on production floor Reduce risk of foot injury
Hearing Protection Required Operating equipment and air lines Reduce risk of hearing loss
Hand Protection Recommended Handling sharp materials Reduce risk of lacerations
Respirator Not required
Respirator use is on a voluntary basis. Employees must be cleared to wear a respirator IAW OSHA 1910.134
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.