Morgan Stanley Global Financial Crimes: Investment Management Financial Crimes Advisory Executive Director in New York, New York
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Global Financial Crimes (GFC) coordinates day-to-day implementation of the Firm’s enterprise-wide financial crime prevention efforts. GFC includes several legal and compliance disciplines and has responsibility for governance, oversight and execution of the Firm’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Economic Sanctions, Anti-Tax Evasion, Anti-Corruption and Government and Political Activities Compliance programs. GFC also develops and/or assists in the development of appropriate policies and procedures, including those designed to assist the business units to know their clients and conduct appropriate due diligence and to prevent, detect and report potentially suspicious activity.
The Investment Management (IM) Financial Crimes Advisory Executive Director reports to the Head of ISG and IM (Americas) Financial Crimes Advisory and will have several direct reports.
The Investment Management (IM) Financial Crimes Advisory Executive Director will be tasked with leading a team of Morgan Stanley personnel in the Americas with responsibility for the day-to-day execution of the overall financial crimes program, with a focus on AML, for the IM businesses at Morgan Stanley.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Supervision of financial crimes advisory team regarding all financial crimes compliance matters
- Manage, coordinate and oversee the day-to-day operations of the AML program for the Firms asset management businesses in Americas
- Providing financial crimes subject matter expertise on changes in regulatory requirements and serving as an effective advisor to the business, legal, risk and Operations on financial crimes matters
- Oversee all AML operational processes including, but not limited to, Customer Due Diligence, Enhanced Due Diligence, suspicious activity monitoring and investigations.
- Serve as point of escalation and provide support in connection with Know Your Customer (KYC) onboarding, enhanced due diligence and transactional due diligence matters
- Advise on transactional due diligence with respect to clients, investors and assets and provide guidance to the business on due diligence requirements
- Provide oversight of Transfer Agents and service providers that execute AML functions on behalf of MSIM
- Assist in the review and approval of New Product Approvals
- Providing senior management and relevant boards with regular, timely and accurate information on the Asset Management Business’s BSA/AML risk profile
- Draft/revise and execute on policies and procedures
- Develop content and deliver training to the BUs, risk, legal, compliance and other first-line and other support functions
- Serve as point of escalation and provide support in connection with regulatory interpretation and application of facts in connection with policies
- Liaise and coordinate within GFC and with key stakeholders across the Firm, including Legal, Compliance, Regulatory Relations, and Risk, to ensure appropriate execution of the Firm's enterprise-wide financial crimes prevention program
- Represent the Firm in relevant industry groups and other external forums
- Bachelor’s degree required (JD preferred)
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience, preferably at an asset manager, large/complex financial institution, law firm, or government/regulatory body
- Detailed understanding of the laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to AML as well as sanctions and anti-corruption
- Solid knowledge of Investment Management, including Registered Mutual Funds, Investment Advisory Mandates, Private Equity, Real Estate and Fund of Fund Investing
- Highly-motivated self-starter able to work independently while collaborating and coordinating as part of a global program
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to provide viable solutions in a time-sensitive environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, attention to detail, and effective time management
- Experience with providing leadership to a team of direct reports
- Sound judgment and an ability to manage and appropriately escalate issues internally
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and team-player attitude
- Certification as an Anti-Money Laundering Specialist by ACAMS or equivalent AML certification/license – or certification within 15 months of hire
Job: *Legal and Compliance
Title: Global Financial Crimes: Investment Management Financial Crimes Advisory Executive Director
Location: New York-New York
Requisition ID: 3181420