Shearman & Sterling, LLP Process Innovation Senior Specialist in New York, New York
The Process Innovation Senior Specialist ("the Specialist") will provide high quality process improvement support to the firm's business services and legal teams, while also assisting with client facing projects and strategic firm programs. Process Innovation is one of the pillars within the firm's Legal Project Management (LPM) team, which focuses on embedding new ways of working and thinking across Shearman & Sterling in connection with the goals of the wider Client Value team.
This role requires strong process improvement expertise and experience alongside broader project management capability, and the interpersonal skills, flexibility and pragmatism required to tailor approaches to meet the client's and legal team's specific needs.
The Specialist will identify areas of opportunity for process improvement with the support of the Senior Manager, Process Innovation and the LPM team, supporting awareness of the importance of a process driven mindset. The Specialist will run and deliver legal and business process improvement projects with the engagement and input of key stakeholders, taking projects from definition through to implementation, with tangible benefits delivered as a result. The Specialist will also be called upon to help raise awareness of LPM best practices more broadly, as is agreed and in alignment with process initiatives.
- Own and deliver small to mid-sized global process improvement projects across the firm to improve the efficiency and/or effectiveness of work performed by lawyers and business services professionals.
- Deliver measurable improvements in efficiency, client value-add and time-cost savings.
- Act as a subject matter expert for process improvement, supporting the identification of opportunities and broadening the firm's capability.
- Engage with senior management and legal teams to support the development of a process improvement culture through training and coaching on process improvement, and more broadly support training on LPM to provide an understanding of our services as an LPM team.
- Contribute to the continuing development of the firm's process improvement standards, tools and approaches to ensure a practical application of best practice; Oversee and govern use of our central process platform. Blueworks
- Skillfully adapt technical process improvement and LPM knowledge, tools and techniques to the circumstances so that it is a help, not a hindrance, to the team.
- Contribute to the Client Value Team's wider transformation projects including supporting our data analytics and legal technology programs.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
**Knowledge, Skills & Attributes**
- Ability to deliver sustainable and measurable process improvement projects to a high quality and in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrates strong project management and leadership skills with experience in leading mid-size and global projects and implementing change.
- Communicates effectively and collaboratively at all levels.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to succinctly capture and convey management information in writing and presentations.
- Ability to build a rapport with and influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Works in an agile and entrepreneurial manner and exhibits a continuous improvement mindset.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, handle multiple detailed tasks simultaneously, prioritize appropriately and delegate to others where needed.
- Ability to use independent judgment to make sound, justifiable decisions and solve problems, while knowing when and to whom to escalate issues.
- Takes initiative in his/her own professional development by seeking feedback and learning new skills; continually learning and improving his/her own process improvement and LPM-related expertise.
- Experienced user of MS Excel and PowerPoint. Fluent in MS Office. Knowledge of IBM Blueworks beneficial.
- Significant experience and qualification in Lean, Lean Six Sigma and/or Design Thinking with a track record of practical application, including recent project delivery.
**Education & Experience**
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience, preferably within a law firm or professional services organization.
**Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous**
- Flexibility to work outside standard business hours.
- Ability and willingness to travel.