Ibero-American Action League, Inc. Medical Interpreter - Per Diem in Rochester, New York
Under the direction of the Chief Communications & Development Officer the medical interpreter serves as a bridge between a patient and a medical professional to alleviate language barriers. Medical interpreters are very valuable to physicians and medical facilities. Medical interpreters may decrease the physician's malpractice liability and risk. Bridging the language gap can decrease the opportunities for medical mistakes to happen.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attend patient appointments assigned.
- Must be comfortable discussing sensitive or personal issues, as well as be able to understand and present information of a scientific or technical nature
- Must keep information on patients confidential
- Able help the physician understand the history and physical information from the patient, as well as the symptoms and reason for the patient's visit
- Translate the physician's questions and answers for the patient to understand and respond when necessary
- Other duties assigned by supervisor.
The employee exercises initiative and independence in establishing his/her daily activities including meeting with customers outside of the office. Will be offered assignments when available and can accept or decline based on their availability.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or job type and knowledgeably across a broad spectrum of cultural, ethnic, and racial communities.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate professionalism conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
Skills and Abilities:__
- High school diploma or GED required, college degree preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with customers.
- Documented proficiency in Spanish and English (can be discussed at the time of the pre-assessments) and be culturally competent.
- Must be certified as a Medical Interpreter course along with 20 hours of shadowing.
- Able to provide own transportation and valid NYS driver's license.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience other than the specified, if judged to be adequate for the job, may be accepted by the President and CEO.
The position does require occasional standing, squatting, lifting of up to approximately 10 lbs. And frequent sitting.
Ibero American Action League is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition, gender identity or expression, carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.
Location: Rochester, NY, USA