Northwell Health Nursing Technician (Temporary) 11pm - 7am in Valley Stream, New York
Req Number 8397
Observes various monitors and alerts nurses and physicians to changes in the patient's rate, rhythm, occurrence of arrhythmias, and changes in oxygen saturation. Performs selected diagnostic tests and prescribed treatments. Provides patients with assistance in performing the activities of daily living. Assists health care team in ensuring patients safety.
- Observes cardiac and other monitors on patients.
Recognizes arrhythmias and obtains documentary strip.
Reports unexpected or abnormal monitored alerts to nurse responsible for patient.
- Obtains a baseline strip each shift on all monitored patients.
- Replaces electrode pads, wires and batteries as needed.
- Assures that all emergency equipment is cleaned and checked.
- Provides patients with assistance in performing the activities of daily living.
Provides equipment/supplies for and appropriately assists patients with oral and personal hygiene.
Prepares patients for meals/snacks/liquids and assists with feeding, as needed.
- Assists in health care team's physical/psychological assessment of patient.
Measures and records patient's Temperature/Pulse/Respiration (TPR), blood pressure, height, weight, intake/output and bowel movement, as appropriate.
Collects required specimens; e.g., urine, feces, sputum.
Reports any observable changes in patient's condition, treatment results, and/or patient/family concerns to the registered professional nurse.
- Performs various selected diagnostic tests and prescribed treatments consistent with established procedures under supervision of registered nurse including but not limited to:
Applying simple dressings; Discontinuing intravenous peripheral therapies; Performing electrode application and EKG; Obtaining blood sugar results and informs nurse; Assisting with the insertion of Foley catheters; Cleansing pressure injuries; Applying buck traction to patient; and Assisting patients with elimination, as required.
- Participates in health care team's responsibility to assure patient safety.
Responds to any patient's call bell and/or emergency light.
Recognizes unsafe acts/conditions and corrects and/or reports same, as appropriate.
Uses side rails, restraints, gerichair and appropriately positions patients.
Responds to fire, evacuation, and internal/external emergencies and drills.
- Functions effectively within the organizational structure.
Accepts assignment and seeks clarification as needed;
Carries out assignments;
Reports patient care observations and findings to RN regularly;
Participates as an integral part of the nursing team in assuming additional duties and responsibilities; and
Maintains competence by attending in-service education programs.
Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Minimum two (2) years direct patient care experience, required.
Successful completion of a Basic ECG/EKG Interpretation course, preferred.
Must Successfully complete Site Telemetry/ EKG training program and Nursing Assistant course.
Ability to operate cardiac monitors and EKG machine, required.
Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and/or oral instructions.
Heart Saver Certification, preferred.
- Northwell Health Jobs