White Plains Hospital Medical Assistant in WHITE PLAINS, New York
A Practice Medical Assistant will perform a variety of clinical and office duties under the physician/provider/nurse's direct supervision. Medical Assistants must adhere to the NYS Medical Assistant scope of practice.
· Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; assisting patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; obtaining patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting providers/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls.
· Fulfills responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient records and documents; scheduling surgical procedures and tests; obtaining pre-certification for health care services; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete.
· Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of examination rooms; stocks assigned rooms and insures par levels of supplies are maintained. Checks and completes required logs and equipment including refrigerator logs, eyewash logs, sample medications, AED, suction and other required checks.
· Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned by department protocols including; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, maintaining infection control protocols; keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies and restocking exam/procedure rooms
· Assists providers with management of EPM and EHR.
· Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergencies; communicates concerns/ problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
· Fulfills medical assistant responsibilities including medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving as well as, obtaining vital signs ;physical examination preparations; assisting with procedures and examinations as required. Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidelines; quality control methods. Assists in the collections and appropriate handling of laboratory specimens. Perfoms electrocardiography, and other office specific tasks as necessary. May perform waived lab testing as allowed under limited lab permit when applicable.
· Adheres to White Plains Hospital infection control standards including, but not limited to, hand hygiene, use of PPE, isolation of patient with known infectious disease, and equipment disinfection/sterilization.
· Utilizes appropriate steps in the decision making process to include recognition and priority setting relating to patient care and practice based issues.
· Collaborates and communicates with the health care team
· Completes annual mandatory requirements including Occupational Health Requirements.
· Attends mandatory in-services
· Attends staff meetings as required/requested
· Utilizes cost containment practices
· Adheres to all WPH policies and procedures including dress code, behavioral standards/code of conduct, customer service and attendance.
· Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
· High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) required.
· Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting at an accredited school, required.
· Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred.
· Basic medical terminology, Electronic Scheduling and Electronic Medical Record experience preferred.
· Minimum one year of recent experience working in a medical facility as a medical assistant (preferred).